Deciding to switch from your current mattress to a new orthopedic one can be a big decision, and it’s not a task you should take on hastily. It’s best to do your research and know what you’re looking at before investing in your sleep quality. In this article, we give you a high-level overview of orthopedic mattresses so you can make the most informed decision.
What is the difference between latex and memory foam?
There are many different types of orthopedic mattresses on the market today, each with unique benefits. Latex and memory foam are two of the most popular types of orthopedic mattresses. So, what is the difference between these two types of mattresses?
Latex mattresses are made from natural rubber sap and offer several benefits, including excellent support and pressure relief. Latex is also naturally breathable and hypoallergenic, making it a great option for those with allergies or sensitivities. However, latex mattresses can be quite expensive.
On the other hand, memory foam mattresses are made from synthetic materials and provide excellent contouring support. Memory foam is also extremely durable and resistant to dust mites and other allergens. However, memory foam can sometimes sleep hot and may not be as breathable as latex.
So, which type of mattress is right for you? It depends on your specific needs and preferences. Latex may be the way to go if you want a mattress that provides superior support and pressure relief. But if you prefer a mattress with excellent contouring support and durability, memory foam may be the better option.
Do orthopedic mattresses offer better sleep?
A good night’s sleep is essential for overall health and well-being, but it can be hard to come by if you’re not sleeping on a comfortable mattress. An orthopedic mattress may be the answer if you struggle to get a good night’s sleep. Orthopedic mattresses are designed to support the spine and joints, which can help reduce pain and improve sleep quality.
A few things to remember when shopping for an orthopedic mattress, such as firmness level and size. It’s important to choose a mattress that is suitable for your needs in order to get the most out of it. Firmness is often a matter of personal preference, but it’s generally recommended that people with back pain opt for a firmer mattress.
Orthopedic mattresses are available in all standard bed sizes, so you should have no problem finding one that fits your bed frame. Regarding price, orthopedic mattresses can range from slightly more expensive than a traditional mattress to several thousand dollars. However, many people find that the investment is worth it for the increased comfort and pain relief they experience.
How to choose the best orthopedic mattress for side sleepers?
When choosing an orthopedic mattress for side sleepers, it is important to consider the following factors:
- The firmness of the mattress - Side sleepers need a firmer mattress in order to support their hips and shoulders. Too soft of a mattress will cause them to sink, leading to pain in those areas.
- The thickness of the mattress - Side sleepers need a thicker mattress so that their hips and shoulders do not sink down too far and cause pain.
- The type of materials used in the mattress - Side sleepers need a mattress that contains supportive materials such as memory foam or latex. These materials will provide the necessary support and cushioning for side sleepers.
- The size of the mattress - Side sleepers need a larger mattress so they have plenty of room to move around during the night without feeling cramped.
Tips to Choose the Right Orthopaedic Mattress Size
When it comes to choosing the right orthopedic mattress size, there are a few things you need to take into account. Above all, you need to make sure that the mattress you choose is big enough to comfortably accommodate your body. Here are a few other tips to keep in mind when choosing the right orthopedic mattress size:
- Consider your sleep position. If you typically sleep on your back or stomach, you’ll need a different size mattress than someone who sleeps primarily on their side.
- Think about how much space you need. If you like to spread out or move around a lot in your sleep, you’ll need a bigger mattress than someone who doesn’t.
- Take into account any special needs. If you have any medical conditions requiring a certain type of sleeping surface, choose a mattress that will meet those needs.
With these things in mind, finding the perfect orthopedic mattress size for you should be a breeze!
Our company, Beds4U, is 100% New Zealand owned and run. As New Zealand's foremost sleep professionals, we're here to restore Kiwis' ability to get a good night's rest. Single, Double, Queen, and King beds, as well as a wide variety of mattresses, are all available in our extensive collection of New Zealand-made products. Whether you like a soft mattress or a firm one, we have it here. Get your best sleep today!